Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Asian baked salmon



There are a lot of things that you are supposed to enjoy when you are a grown-up, that I don't really enjoy.

Like:
- getting tipsy at dinner parties and arguing about politics
- organising community events
- the theatre
- OPERA AUGHGHGHGH
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- The Sopranos
- oysters
- striking up conversations with check-out people at supermarkets
- reading the newspaper for fucking HOURS
- classical music
- gardening
- very long lunches where your bum goes to sleep

Fish is another one. And vegetables. If it wouldn't have such invidious effects on my long-term health prospects, (by which I mean make me fat), I would just eat burgers and chips and pizza all the time.

But you're not allowed to do that when you are a grown-up, you have to eat fish and vegetables - often at the same time. And a lot of people LIKE it and order it in RESTAURANTS!!!! I used to dread fish nights. I would buy it because if I didn't my husband would give me a lecture about how we're not allowed to eat burgers all the time and I'll do anything to avoid a lecture.

I'm a bit scared of fish. It smells horrible even when reasonably fresh and stinks the house out when you cook it and it's all slimy and sometimes there are BONES and urgh it's all completely gross and designed, if you ask me, just to make yourself extra grateful that you're having spag bol the next night.

And while I often get a craving for sushi, (I think I'm after the salt in the soy), quite often halfway through some sashimi I am filled with the fear that I might vomit.

Recently though, I have hit on a thing to do with salmon that I actually really genuinely look forward to.

What you do is you cover it in chilli, lime, soy, ginger, garlic and whatever other Asian things you have knocking about, wrap it in foil and then BAKE it for 12 minutes.

It doesn't stink the house out and it isn't slimy. You have it alongside spring greens sliced finely and stir-fried with some oyster sauce and it's honestly really a very nice thing to have. It has really changed my mind about fish. And I'm incredibly stubborn about stuff like that.

So let's go through that again for those of you who weren't listening.

Asian baked salmon for 2

2 salmon fillets
knob of fresh ginger, roughly sliced
1 clove garlic
small bunch coriander(???)
1/2 a chilli, seeds in or out I don't care
5 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
1/4 tsp Chinese five spice

1 Put everything except the salmon fillets in a whizzer and whizz for a few minutes.

2 Put a piece of foil on a baking dish large enough to wrap over the salmon fillets in a loose parcel. Put on the salmon fillets. Pour over your whizzed slush marinade and leave for as long as you can - although it can be baked just how it is.

3 Bake in a 180 oven for 10-12 minutes

Please note: you do not have to use all of those ingedients - this is nice just with chilli and soy and ginger; everything else is just showing off, which is a grown-up thing that I do actually enjoy.

19 comments:

  1. With zeez two recipe rifles in two days, you are really spoiling us (said in Ambassador's assistant voice). Merci.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah - the reason why fish tastes so good like this is because it doesn't taste of fish any more. Which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay 2 in 2 days. I do love your posts! Are you still off the carbs? I think noodles would go well with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely fucking love Salmon! I'd eat it everyday for dinner if I could. Pak Choi is the perfect accompaniment to an Asian Salmon recipe. Now whenever I eat any other type of fish that isn't salmon it's so tasteless to me. I've become such a brat lately!

    Keep the recipe's coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you watch The Sopranos you will constantly want to eat eveything they do (lots of meat, pasta and sweets). The picture of that Salmon is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. People who like fish tell me that if it is fresh it shouldn't smell.

    In that case all the raw fish I have ever encountered in my entire life is off.

    Maybe they just have a very poor sense of smell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found your blog on Thursday when looking for a Jerk Chicken recipe - used yours/JOs and it went down very well at our BBQ on Saturday night so thank you.

    Have spent since Thursday reading your backlog (currently got to June 2010) and have enjoyed it immensely so thank you for that too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You crack me up! The recipes are a bonus, but your posts are genius. :)

    Maxine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love salmon done like this, but here's a slight variation (which I achieved by accident as my oven wasn't working but I didn't know it):
    Teriyaki marinade (home made for preference but a bottle from the shop is probably the same, I'm just a bit of a snob) for the salmon, wrap in foil and then cook at about 100 - 120 degrees for 30-40 mins.
    I know, sounds all wrong, but it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa thank you for this excellent tip

      Delete
  10. I love salmon done like this! An even lazier version is to mix equal parts soy and honey, marinate for a few minutes then fry the salmon and pour the soy/honey marinade over when nearly finished cooking to go all sticky around it. Delish and useful when your missing a few fresh ingredients from the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this recipe! We try to eat salmon once a week (vanity - it's apparently marvellous for the skin/anti-ageing) and I am SO bored of it. This will perk things up no end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel exactly the same about fish and sea food. Sometimes I get wildly excited when I see moules mariniere on a menu but halfway through the meal I get the feeling I'm eating my own tonsils and want to vom.
    Jamie Oliver has a bloody brilliant recipe for disguising the fishiness of salmon which is even easier than this Asian one.
    For one portion:

    -take a sheet of tin foil
    -place a fistful of green beans on foil
    -place a fillet of salmon on top of the beans
    -in a cup/ramekin, mix a tablespoon of green pesto with a teaspoon of oil, then spoon it on top of the salmon.
    -stick in a lemon wedge if you like (I don't understand why fish is always served with lemon)
    -fold tin foil into a little parcel and then whack in the oven on a baking tray
    -bake for about 20mins at 180/200.
    -serve with whatever carbs you fancy.

    So easy, even for super-lazy students like me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum - great dinner for a can't-be-arsed Monday night

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elizabeth Medovnik24 July 2012 at 22:47

    My husband plays trumpet in the English Touring Opera! So I'm afraid I've had to sit through rather a lot of operas (free tickets, though) and listen to a lot of classical music. I only like salmon and tuna and I've always wondered why people order other types of fish in restaurants. The recipe sounds lovely and if I weren't so lazy I'd probably even try to cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun fact - the Chinese(and indeed nearly all Asian cultures) cook fish with ginger because neutralizes the fishy odor, so you can get away with serving not very fresh fish but still have it taste delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elisabeth of Norway28 July 2012 at 13:47

    you crack me up every time, I'm laughing so hard I just might have to consider buying incontinence pads! And the recipes are great, too.... :-) only problem is when a recipe calls for such unheard-of items like double cream or self-raising flour, as we certainly don't have this stuff here in Norway.
    As for fish, though, we have plenty, due to Norway being mostly coastline, and I swear by the fish-in-foil kinda food. you may also toss in a lot of chopped spring onion or thin leeks, and add a few prawns (peeled) for the final 5-6 minutes. And: the lemon works by neutralizing the fat in the fish, probably not a very scientific way of explaining this, but with fatty fish one tends to...BURP a lot or "greet the fish" as we say here, but with some lemon juice this does not happen so much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yo - I am cooking this for 6 Hampshire girls (read terrified-of-carbs but will drink at least a bottle of sugar filled red wine each anyway) tonight.

    Will let you know how much murmuring and complementing goes on.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds delicious, gonna try this, thanks for sharing.....

    Simon

    ReplyDelete